Brendan Brammall practises general civil litigation. Prior to joining Chernos Flaherty Svonkin LLP
, Brendan spent more than five years in the Toronto office of McCarthy Tétrault LLP, where he gained a wide range of experience in corporate/commercial, regulatory, administrative, and professional liability matters. He has appeared as counsel before all levels of court in Ontario as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
Brendan previously served as Law Clerk to the Honourable Mr. Justice Ian Binnie of the Supreme Court of Canada and was an associate in the New York office of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.
Brendan received his law degree with honours standing from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law. He also holds a master’s degree in political philosophy from the University of Oxford, which he attended as a Commonwealth Scholar, and an honours undergraduate degree in political science and international relations from the University of British Columbia. Brendan is bilingual and was called to the Ontario bar in 2007 and to the New York State bar in 2008.
Brendan has represented
- a major mining company in a trial arising out of the disputed sale of a Chilean copper/gold mining project
- an industry organization in an arbitration relating to the Ontario blue box recycling program
- a cement company in an appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal involving the interpretation of a municipal by-law
- the Canadian Bar Association in an intervention before the Supreme Court of Canada relating to the regulation of conflicts of interest in the legal profession
- physicians in civil actions and administrative proceedings
- financial institutions in regulatory investigations, both in Ontario and in New York
Canadian Bar Association
The Advocates’ Society
American Bar Association
New York, 2008
JD (Honours), 2006
University of Toronto
University of Oxford
BA (Honours), 2000
University of British Columbia